Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Resolution of the Day: WRITE


I used to write. A lot. Not so much these days, until January. I made a resolution (you may have noticed) to write every day for a month. It's not been easy. My muse done fled, mostly. But I figure with some encouragement, it may come back. And writing feels good, even when the writing is-- well, not so much. Writing is a way, someone probably famous said, of living twice. It helps me think things through.

For today, try one of these possibilities:

Write a poem. It can be a bad poem. When I used to write poetry more regularly, if I got stuck I would deliberately write a bad poem, just to get it out of the way. Here's a resource if you need inspiration: Very Bad Poetry. If you are hoping for something better, trying writing ten poems in twenty minutes. Get some random titles by eavesdropping on conversation or opening random pages in a book. If you end up with one little poem you like some-- well, hey. Gravy. If not, you just wasted less time then you would've on one rerun of Seinfeld.

Write a letter. A real one. With ink or pencil, and paper, and a stamp. It can be a letter of appreciation (THANK) or a reconnection with friend or family (CONNECT). What a treat it is to receive a handwritten communication with complete sentences.

Write yourself. Remind yourself what you are thinking, grieving, loving. Review your day.

Write down a dream. A real one. Jung says dreams are letters from our unconscious. Even if it doesn't make sense now, it often does later.

Write a list. For inspiration, visit McSweeney's.

Write a letter from your future self. Be reassuring.

Write your obituary. Be honest.

Write on--
Jana
P.S. The photo is of an inspirational writer in my life-- my dad.

Quotes of the day: The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. ~Norbet Platt
There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith
It is helpful to get the wound out of the body and onto the page. Marjorie Sandor
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

Song of the day: Elvis Costello, Everyday I Write the Book

Website of the day: Language is a Virus
Read of the day: My pal Hal, who also happens to do a bang-up job of mastering my work website.

No comments: