Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolution of the day: Smile




In keeping with my nature of perfection of imperfection, I'm already two days behind my scenario of posting a daily resolution.  I figure if I get ten in this month, I'll be doing great..
  
Resolution for 1/03/09:  Smile more.
Our brain has a "facial feedback feature":  when we make purposefully imitate faces associated with certain emotions, such as anger, sadness or happiness, our brains start cranking in ways similar to when we feel those emotions in real life.  By smiling-- a real smile, eyes included, not a grimace-- we activate the beginnings of pleasurable feelings.  Even imagining ourselves smiling in this way causes similar brain activity. 

Book of the day: A Brief History of the Smile, by Aussie art historian Angus Trumble

Song of the day:  Smile  Nat King Cole

No comments: