Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Resolution of the Day: OBSERVE


Photo:  Carbon antlers ( Xylaria hypozylon) McDonald Forest, Corvallis, OR

Yeah, yeah, yeah-- I know I fell down on the job for a few days--

Today's quote:  "The real voyage of discovery consists of not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust

Five things I saw today I would have missed had I not walked to work:
1)  The yellow and purple crocus buds that I at first mistook for plastic trash--  what are they doing here, in Janary?
2)  The beautiful pink elephant painted on a wooden board, nailed to a telephone pole.
3)  The miniature Chinese gardens of mosses and lichens on the tree bases
4)  The homeless man sleeping in the doorway
5)  The single lonely boot by the gutter

Take some time today to pay attention to what normally would be background.  For inspiration, read this article from last Sunday's Bew York Times:  "In a City of Renters, the Theater of Life on a 27-Minute Cycle."

Are you, as my parents often said of me, "of the world, but not in it"?  What will you miss, if you aren't paying attention?

No comments: