Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Resolution of the Day: GRIEVE


Today we said goodbye to our sweet Labrador, Jetta.  She's been an uncomplicated, devoted companion and a bonding part of my family's history for 15 years.  A couple of weeks ago she started wandering out under the sheltering cypress.  A few days ago she began refusing her food.  It took us a week or two longer than it took her to accept that she was ready to go.
   I work to hold gratitude for all our time together in the same heart as my sadness for the loss.  As much as I wish we could have avoided the pain of this day, it is a bargain for all gained from her.

----
Three benefits of crying:

--Releases stress (both psychologically and physiologically)
--Communicates distress and our need for comfort
--Communicates connection and compassion for others in grief
-----

My Cup
They tell me I am going to die.
Why don't I seem to care?
My cup is full. Let it spill.
   --Robert Friend


Song of the day: You Can Close Your Eyes (James Taylor song covered by William Fitzsimmons)
It's a repeat, although I originally planned to use it on this post.  We had a reprieve, and I didn't need it yet.  Thanks for the extra time, Jetta...rest now.

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."  --Kahlil Gibran

No comments: