Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 9th Challenge: Thankful Thursday

What are you thankful for today?

There's good research to show that an attitude of gratitude will increase your sense of well-being and optimism, and boy howdy we can use that these days.

Some of the most replicated research shows that if one practices listing three gratitudes daily for a few weeks, the well being persists long after the practice stops.  The mind gets in the habit of noticing what's good even if you aren't writing it down anymore. 

I've struggled with gratitude practices because it can easily slide into that prosperity gospel stuff I personally find harmful and selfish, more about what we've got than how things are.  But gratitude that is more of awe and less about comparison is different for me.  Aren't fingers amazing and all they can do! Isn't it fantastic that we can see suns billions of miles away!  I'm thankful tea exists, and that people make art.  So much to be thankful for, even in the midst of fear and suffering. 

And I am often so grateful for the work I get to do and the people I get to talk to.

So today, I'm going to notice everything I am grateful for as I go through the day.  I'm grateful I remembered that I didn't write this last night, and got it done.  I'm grateful that I'm off now to go teach about mental health to a community group. I'm grateful that we CAN talk openly about mental health these days. 

Put this challenge into practice in any way you like.  Gratitude lists, thank you notes, expressions of appreciation to others.

See you tomorrow,
Jana


No comments: