Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Monday, January 6, 2020

January 7th Challenge: What Would Dolly Do?

From the Pass It On campaign
Hope you had some intentional mellowing of your Monday.  I did some mandala coloring with a client (her good idea) and read up on some good recipes.  I also came home to a happy surprise of great lentil soup and cornbread.

Tuesday's challenge is to imagine and then channel the trait of someone you admire today.  Think of, for example, the compassion of Mother Theresa, the calm kindness of Fred Rogers, the incredible courage of Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman, Viktor Frankl and Malala, the good humor of the Dali Lama, and the perseverance of writers who works were rejected over and over before becoming bestsellers.  Pick a trait you need and put it into practice today.  What would your hero do?

If you need some inspiration, check out this list of people and traits from the Pass It On campaign. 

Today's challenge occurred to me as I was listening to the radio and Dolly Parton came on.  I'm on the fence about her music, but I really admire her good-natured, sunny deposition.  I love her fierceness and genuine-ness, and her commitment to seeing what is good in people and in the world.  She's a rich woman who was born poor, one of 12 children from a family that subsistence farmed.  She never lost her roots but she knows how to move with ease in any circle, without compromising her values or her true nature.

Here are some Dolly quotes I'll be meditating on:

"When I wake up, I expect things to be good. If they're not, then I try to set about trying to make them as good as I can 'cause I know I'm gonna have to live that day anyway. So why not try to make the most of it if you can? Some days, they pan out a little better than others, but you still gotta always just try."

"I don't kiss nobody's butt."

"Funny that the poorer people are, the more generous they seem to be."

"I try to see the good in everybody, and I don't care who they are, as long as they are themselves."

"Find out who you are.  And do it on purpose."

Song for the day is one of my favorites.  Enjoy your Tuesday!
Jana


No comments: