Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Monday, January 13, 2020

January 13th Challenge: Get Hygge with it

Hope some of you had good experiences with Complaint Free Sunday.  I woke way earlier than I wanted and began my morning with a litany before I remembered my commitment.  Used the bracelet technique (see Complaint Free World) to keep myself in check and only had to move it a few times all day--my new personal best-- and REALLY noticed the difference. I was in good spirits all day.  Granted, I did Hyyge things like making pancakes, staying in my jammies and reading until midafternoon.  But I hadn't realized how much I'd fallen back in the habit of griping. 

If you've missed the little bestseller about it, below is the Oxford definition of the word that actually doesn't rhyme at all with "jiggy". It boils down to mindfully creating a comforting, peaceful atmosphere.  Here in the PNW, it's been dark, damp and chilly for weeks, and we're expecting lots more of  same, maybe even with snow, for the next ten days.  Time to embrace rather than resist.  Today's challenge is to put some of the principles of Hygge into your Monday evening.  Light some candles, make a hot drink, find a cozy blanket and a good book, or invite friends over for a game of Scrabble, and snuggle on down into the dark night.  Enjoy!
Jana

hygge

Pronunciation /ˈh(y)o͞oɡə/ /ˈh(j)uɡə/ /ˈho͝oɡə/ /ˈhʊɡə/ 

NOUN

  • A quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)
    ‘why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?’
    as modifier ‘count on candlelight—almost a requirement for that special hygge experience’
  • Origin: Danish, from Norwegian.


No comments: