Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 4th Challenge: Gather Evidence to the Contrary

one narrative...
How's your autobiography going?  I'm not talking about a written one, but about the stories we tell ourselves daily about who we are and what we are capable of doing.  Many of us hold self-limiting beliefs that weigh us down.  Today's challenge is to identify one of these and then diligently search for evidence to the contrary.

Examples worth challenging:
I haven't accomplished much in my life.
There's no one I can turn to for help.
I'm not brave.
I can't change.


And nearly anything that starts with:  "I'm always/ I'm never"
 
Check your narrative.  Think of a negative you hold true for yourself.  Spend a few minutes pondering the effects of holding on to the negative belief.  Then sift through your personal history searching for any evidence that refutes it.  Be creative.  Remember, for example, that being brave doesn't mean doing something fearlessly, but doing it even if you are scared.  Think of times you did.  Write down your evidence!

Extra karmic credit:  Put it in action.  Add to your evidence today.

See you Saturday,
Jana


Quote of the day:
"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be only afraid of standing still."  ~Chinese proverb
Song of the day:





3 comments:

BoggyWoggy said...

Jill Bolte Taylor spoke to the conversations she was having with her brain on a daily basis. I speak to my brain and listen to it...and it often speaks poorly of me. So, I have to, literally, shut down that nasty ol' left-brain and open up my right...letting the warmth flow through and not noticing the judgments and nastiness right-brain tries to spread.

Kiesa said...

I like Jill Bolte Taylor's book MY STROKE OF INSIGHT. Umm, I am working on not saying that my fiddling is terrible. I am working on saying that I am a beginner and progressing with my fiddling. Sure, the dog wears earplugs when I play, but hey, I'm progressing. So today I noticed that I get more notes right than wrong. :0)

Jana Svoboda, LCSW said...

That's an excellent book. Her video on TED talks is also very interesting. It's inspiring to me to see we can learn from our disasters, become an observer to our critic (instead of a reactor), and I like it when we keep at something even when it is hard. Fiddle is hard. Keep it up, Kiesa!