Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Tiny Resolutions January 3: Get Curious


"I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Yesterday's tiny resolution was to send a thank you letter to someone whose work had enriched your life or inspired you.  I had lots of options, but the mail gave me direction.  After over a year of waiting, a paper microscope arrived from Stanford University.  Manu Prakash and a team of bioengineers developed a cheap, portable folding microscope they hope will open up the wonder of the micro-cosmos to the world.  I'm one of 10,000 beta-testers of all ages and backgrounds from over 130 countries who will be sharing this lovely invention.  I was positively giddy when I saw it in my mailbox.   I wrote them a letter to express my appreciation.

Today's challenge is inspired by the sweet letter that accompanied the microscope, in which their enthusiasm and curiosity was evident.  I want you to bring some of that magic into the world too.

The challenge:  Look a little harder at the world around you today, and find something that makes you curious.  Then take some time and explore it.  Take some pictures, go to the web or the library or to an expert and find out more.  Go deep.  See what you discover.

I look forward to sharing some of my microscope findings with you all.  And I hope you will take a minute and tell me what you see in the world today, and how it felt to be alive in wonder.

Jana




3 comments:

Nuray Önoğlu said...

Dear Universe, than you for Jana and for Manu Prakash. I will look around more curiously, promise. :))

Kiesa said...

How do you make time for all of these delightful activities? oh my! okay i am going to look with curiosity at my bow as I play my fiddle, so it's like a twofer, curious and practice at the same time. Also I did learn about an old style instrument for the play: http://washuu.net/Musical/scheitholt.htm so does that count? I love your January blog.

Kiesa said...

My letter: Thank you for Jana's January blog activities, which make the doldrum grays of winter turn into tiny quicksilver adventures.