Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 9th Challenge: Thankful Thursday

Continuing with our month of tiny resolutions, here's another that can be as quick or as complicated as you wish.

Gratitude is one of the most heavily researched attributes for contributing to personal happiness.  Martin Seligman's original positivity studies found that keeping a daily journal of gratitudes for six provided immediate measurable uplift, and that participants reported higher levels of happiness months later after stopping.  His more recent research found that if participants added a factor of how they'd contributed to the opportunity for gratitude, the effects were even stronger.  Ex:  "I'm thankful to know about the chance for auroras tonight.  I keep an ear open to learn when these might happen."

Today's challenge is to up your chances for happiness by expressing appreciation in your life.  You can
do a list or start your own journal.  You can step it up by expressing gratitude directly to someone who has mentored, challenged, supported or enriched you. 

I want to express gratitude today to Kathy Jensen, extraordinary teacher, who mentored my love for the natural world and let me TA for her throughout my years at Topeka High School.  It's going to take some sleuthing to find out if I can show this appreciation more directly.  I'd hoped to find a picture online to put up here; no luck.  I think of her often and thank/blame her for my obsession with biology and science.

Today's quote:  “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Related:  
Today's video:

1 comment:

Kiesa said...

Okay! I expressed appreciation today to Leah, for giving me her sandwich and drink and chips; Samantha, for being fabulous; David and Judy, for telling their story; Brian S., for his incredible emotional genius; Joe, for making dinner; Benjamin, for calling me; Ameli, for keeping going; Rosa Pup, for her waggle dance. Okay!