Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

RELEASE

Barn's burnt down --
    now
I can see the moon.
---Mizuta Masahide, 1657-1723


It's springtime in Oregon.  We know, because on the rare occasion the sun is shining we can see the little furry patches of moss on our ankles starting to spore.    Time for a little spring cleaning.
I must have come from the gathering part of the hunter/gatherer tribe.  I collect.  A couple hundred heart shaped rocks are piled under the base of the front yard maple, and most are under a few years' worth of leaf litter.  There are bowls and stacks of rocks around my house, in my office, providing a nice natural counterpoint to rest of the clutter.  I'm a sentimentalist.  I have the orange my sweetheart brought me 20 some years ago on our second date-- I was sick, too sick to eat it, and it quickly desiccated on the window sill and has followed house to house since.  
Some of these things I am glad follow me.  But it's past time to goodwill, toss out or repurpose the several dozen mismatched socks, 80's business suits, old tupperware bowl without the lid, etc.  I like giving things away as much as collecting them.   I've rehomed many a sentimental piece of art or jewelry.
Here's some resources for reducing your load.
Freecycle is a national network devoted to keeping useful items out of the landfill.  "Useful" is a broad definition-- I've given away a nearly new but unfunctioning printer and ceramic heater to people with more mechanical savvy.  Group names and contact methods vary by location; find yours here.
http://www.freecycle.org/
Locally, the ARC, Cat's Meow, OSU thrift store, Vina Moses, Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity would love to sell your gently used items to fund their good works.
The Northwest Earth Institute offers nearly free classes in voluntary simplicity and sustainable living that will get you thinking about what you need and what it really costs to have it.Today's quote:  It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential. --Bruce Lee
Song of the day:  "Just Let Go", by Karen Savoca
Inspiring vid of the day:  The Story of Stuff

No comments: