Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

With Love for Ansel, 9/20/85-3/18/06

Name me no names for my disease
With uninforming breath;
I tell you I am none of these,
But homesick unto death.
             ----Witter Bynner
 "The Patient to the Doctors"
     Ansel died at 20, waiting for a transplant that might have kept him journaling, poetgaming and mountain climbing.  A few weeks before he died, I visited him in New York.  When I asked what I could bring him from Oregon, he said: "Seaweed-- lots of kelp.  I want to take a bath in it and pretend I am in the ocean".  (I did, and he did).
       He packed more life into two decades than many of us could in five, and had a heart the size of Texas.  His family and friends miss him very much but are ever enlarged and grateful for our brief time with him. 
Give the gift of life:
Billy Collins :The Dead
Song of the day: A seeker and poet like Anselin, Dave Carter wrote his own eulogy song a few years before his unexpected passing.  He plays it here with the gifted Tracy Grammar.  More at daveandtracy.com



No comments: