Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Curious Life of the Nerd

Do you have the enthusiastic curiosity of a child, filtered through an eclectic collective of knowledge?  Lucky you.

I found this poster on a Facebook page.  Wish I knew to whom I could attribute the image (and if you do, tell me) because I do so appreciate the sentiment. 

Here's to all of us unafraid to show love for our interests, who are unabashed in our passions and without apology for our obsessions.  I appreciate this particular human variation, and the variation of interests supported.  Being of limited lifespan, if we want to go wide we're not going to be able to go too deep.  For all  of those of you that do, I offer deep gratitude.  I may not be able to do or be all I want in this lifetime, but thanks to Geeks everywhere I can learn a little about a lot. 

Tonight on Krista Tippetts' On Being, I learned a few things about physics, thanks to string theorist James Gates.  At 61, he says he is having more fun than ever exploring math and science.  In the local Gazette Times, I read about OSU neuroscientist Sarina Saturn, who is providing evidence for what I have long suspected:  that variations in oxytocin levels influence individual's emotional states and levels of altruism and empathic ability.  And Kathleen McAulifee told me how my cat might just be making me crazy (via parasites) in her frightening but fascinating article in this month's Atlantic article. 

Thanks to you nerdy obsessives, I can now identify maybe thirty of the world's 75,000+ species of mushrooms, including three or four I enjoy eating and a dozen or so that would kill me.  I know a little about why certain music makes me anxious (see Radio Lab's Sound As Touch episode) and Why Penguins' Feet Don't Freeze (thanks, Mick O'Hare and readers of New Scientist).

I've been obsessed with information and learning since I was a kid.   I hungrily read the encyclopedia my parents were suckered into buying from a door-to-door salesman, as well as my mother's nursing books (ask me anything about elephantiasis-- that picture of the man with his testicles in a wheelbarrow is burned into my brain).  I may have missed learning how to do my hair and makeup, but I have a lifelong curiosity about the world  I'd never trade for a day on the Best Dressed.

So thank you, Nerds.  I only hope I am worthy of your title.

Off to read,
Jana

No comments: