Welcome to the middle path

My photo
Sporadic photos and notes from a Psyche-midwife, cheerleader, anthropologist--aka clinical social worker in therapy practice. Photos are usually mine except for those of historical events/famous people. Music relevant to the daily topic is often included in a web video embedded below the blog. Click on highlighted links in the copy to get to source or supplemental material. For contact information, see my website @ janasvoboda.com or click on the button to the right below. Join in the conversation.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Resolution #16: Use Your Voice

 Continuing on the theme of honoring the vision of Dr. King, today's resolution is to let our voices be heard about something that matters to us, and in defense of those whose voices are being silenced or ignored.

We can keep this resolution in small gestures or large.  We can support small local business instead of large, anonymous corporations.  We can donate time, energy or goods to causes that do humanitarian work. We can tell people in gentle ways if their language is harmful ("retarded" and "gay" used as slurs, for example).  We can write letters to our news editors.  We can encourage our representatives to take on issues around human rights and dignity even if they may be politically unpopular.  We can demand our own country show leadership in addressing climate change, treating political prisoners within the bounds of the Geneva Convention, and caring for vulnerable populations on our lands.

Use your voice.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

   --Martin Niemöller, pastor and social activist, 1946

No comments: